Re: Compiling glibc from sources ...

At 10:54 +0200 1999-09-29, Davide Libenzi wrote:
I'm new in this list and I want to start with a qustion about a thing that
was appened to me
and that I've seen appened to other peoples in Linux-C mailing list also.
Why I can't compile glibc from sources in a Debian system ?

I don't know, I compile glibc from sources on Debian systems all the time, both with and without patches.

When I've done it and my system become inusable someone told me that I
_must_ apply the
Debian patch to the original sources.

None of the patches applied to the source are required for a functional libc.

I'll be happy if someone could explain me ( with few words ), why the patch
is needed.

Patches applied in the Debian version of the GNU C Library:

localedata-zh_TW.Big5:
  zh_TW.Big5 locale definition

localedata-eo_EO:
  locale definition for Esperanto

localedata-charmap-BIG5_1984:
  BIG5_1984 character map

localedata-SUPPORTED:
  Extra locales for localedata/SUPPORTED file.

ldd:
  Remove "you do not have execution permission for" warning.
  Hack around non-executable file shrodinbug.

glibcbug:
  Use sensible-editor instead of emacs

sparc-linux-chown:
  chown() compatibility for old Debian/sparc binaries

sparc-linux-ldd:
  Don't test for libc4 in ldd for SPARC.

m68k-linux-chown:
  Fix chown/lchown handling for Linux2.0/2.2 kernels

hurd-ldflags:
  avoid linking libmachuser and libhurduser against libc

fhs-linux-paths:
  Correct linux paths for FHS

generic-getenv:
  1999-09-10  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

        * sysdeps/generic/getenv.c (getenv): Fix lookup for single
        character variable on bigendian platforms without unaligned memory
        access.

pthread_create-manpage:
  Correct pthread_create manpage to match texinfo documentation
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>