NIS+-Support

I volunteered some time ago to package the nisutils for NIS+. The linux NIS+
support page (http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/linux/) says (see below, sorry for the
bad formatting), that glibc has to be recompiled. I never debianized a that
important package as glibc.

Would anybody volunteer to provide support for this? I myself would happily
provide a .deb of nisutils.

I created a mail alias for nis+-support. Does anybody want to be added on the
alias-list and monitor the nis+ things?

Thanks.

FROM THE LINUIX NIS+ SUPPORT PAGE:

GNU C Library 2:

The NIS+ support for glibc 2.x is written from scratch. The getXXent and
getXXbyYY functions are
all implemented. DES authentication for NIS+ (secure level 2) will work with
the GNU C Library
version 2.1 or later. You also need the glibc-crypt and glibc-linuxthreads add
ons. You have to
configure glibc with:
configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons=yes
The NIS+ support is not and will never be in the released glibc 2.0.x ! The
first official glibc version
with NIS+ was the 2.1 final release.

Installation:

      Get glibc-2.1.tar.gz, glibc-crypt-2.1.tar.gz and
glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.tar.gz from a gnu ftp
      mirror.
      Get my glibc add-ons glibc-doors-0.9.0-1.tar.gz and
glibc-nss-v1-2.0.2.tar.gz.
      glibc-doors is only needed, if you have the kernel module for it
installed. glibc-nss-v1 is for
      old static binaries.
      Untar the glibc sources, and then the add-ons in the glibc-2.1 source
tree.
      Create a new directory for binaries outside the source directory.
      Run "../glibc-2.1/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons=yes".
      Run "make" and, important, "make check". Only continue if "make check"
passes all tests !
      Make a backup of the files in /lib to another place on the root device.
      Run "make install"
      If this fails, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to your old glibc copy and remove the
new files from /lib
      Run "ldconfig"

For more information about the GNU C Library, look at
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html

--
Rainer Dorsch
Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de