blocking system is important bug at least?

Hi!

I was tempted to set the severity of bug 47289 higher than
normal but I feel I might offend someone doing that,
therefore I just write this mail.

IMHO this bug is very serious as it broke my whole system
and I had no idea it has something to do with nscd.
(In fact I thought it is an SCSI hardware problem as the
 error appeared just after I changed my hardware setup. But after
 checking SCSI termination, compiling some kernels and bying a new
 SCSI controller I started to examine the software again ..)

I write this mail for two reasons:

1) To emphasize this bug is really important: It blocked many parts
   of my system and I had no idea where to look. I did not even know
   there is a thing like the "Name Service Switch" in libc. I just
   installed many LDAP related packages to see what possibilities I
   have to share a user database across a network. Libnss-ldap brought
   nscd and my system was not working any longer. I found the bug
   "by accident" when I used strace and noticed "ls -al" blocked while
   reading from a file socket with "nscd" in its name.

   Admittedly most people won't install nscd without knowing what it
   does. But if someone does like I did he has a broken system and
   no idea where to start looking for the error.

   And in any circumstances nscd can stop large parts of a system.

2) To offer help. Is there anything I can do to track this error down?

     Greetings,
           Florian

--
  Florian Hinzmann               f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de