Re: Upgrading Slink to Potato

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > 1. If you have apt installed, libc6 will not upgrade, as it conflicts with
> > older versions of apt. This may place a catch 22 for those who wish to use
> > apt for the upgrade. You may need to upgrade apt and libc6 together using
> > dpkg from the command line. Once I removed the old version of apt, dselect
> > was able to upgrade libc6 with no further problems.
>
> <groan>
>
> There are two options here,
>   1 - Link potato's APT with the old libc
>   2 - Try to Fix the bug that Richard found and remove the conflicts
>
> Which should we do?

Well, since I have no ideas about the bug fix, I would suggest number 1.

Seems to me the installation/upgrade software should run in the old
environment, _and_ the new. Will a slink-linked apt run on a potato libc6?

I got the impressiong that the apt I had installed was the slink version.
If libc6 conflicts with it for reasons of libc linkage, recompiling
potato's version of apt isn't likely to resolve the issue is it?

Luck,

Dwarf