[ak@muc.de: Re: [g200-dev]Re: glx problems]

I know you can probably come up with a better argumented response
that I can..

Wichert.

--- Begin Message ---
On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 06:51:05PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Erm, I think you misunderstood the glibc FAQ. Although there are often
> > conflicts between glibc and kernel includes the kernel includes still can
> > be used in some cases (and have to in some). The user just has to know
> > what he is doing.
>
> There is a big difference between a user who knows what he is doing
> and making those symlinks. Those symlinks *will* break some programs
> at some point, and if you want to use the kernel includes you can tell
> your compiler to use those directly anyway.

I am not sure what if I follow you, but if you think that everything that
the kernel has to offer is covered by glibc I tell you that this far
from true.

Also not that glibc itself uses asm/* and linux/* includes. The kernel is
very careful to keep binary compatibility so it is no problem to
keep a symlink to your kernel sources.

The Debian way of splitting them is obviously misguided, because it assumes
that the kernel is a static thing, which it is definitely wrong.

-Andi
--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.