Re: Request to join salsa

On 08/14/2023 12:10 AM IST Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> What is the geopandas bug?

I should've been clearer. explore() is unusable without dependency on matplotlib, mapclassify and folium. This
needs to be added or at least recommended.

See https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/python-geopandas/-/blob/master/geopandas/explore.py#L296

This was making tests choke in another package.

> And why move mapclassify from the science team?

It is not yet uploaded even to NEW, and the description says:

| mapclassify implements a family of classification schemes for choropleth maps. Its focus is on the determination of
| the number of classes, and the assignment of observations to those classes. It is intended for use with upstream mapping
| and geovisualization packages (see geopandas and geoplot) that handle the rendering of the maps.

This seems a much better fit for GIS.

> Did you read the team policy?
>
>   https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/

I did. Interestingly, some people who helped draft it are the ones with whom I work on a daily basis in med and other blends teams.

Have I justified enough to get added now?

Best,
Nilesh