Re: Proposal for the inclusion of new packages

On Sat, Jul 01, 2023 at 10:20:17AM +0200, Antonio Valentino wrote:
Dear Sebastiaan dear all,
please find below a list of Python packages that IMHO could be interesting to have in Debian GIS.

* MetPy: https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy
 MetPy is a collection of tools in Python for reading, visualizing and
 performing calculations with weather data.

* eodag: https://github.com/CS-SI/eodag
 EODAG (Earth Observation Data Access Gateway) is a command line tool
 and a plugin-oriented Python framework for searching, aggregating
 results and downloading remote sensed images while offering a unified
 API for data access regardless of the data provider.

Antonio,

nice to hear about that from you. Indeed, I still have not see any activity about the Copernicus API switching in sentinelsat for their issue #583, so python3-sentinelsat would become obsolete after September 2023.

About that, probably we would have a couple of possibility
for stable:
 - simply asking for dropping the package
 - asking for updating to a future(?) version which eventually
   includes the new API.

EOdag could be a nice tool to use even for accessing Sentinel data,
at least by rumors.

* A set of packages developed by the Laboratory for Ocean Physics and
 Satellite remote sensing (https://github.com/umr-lops), mostly xarray
 based libraries to access Synthetic Apreture Radar data:
 - xsar: https://github.com/umr-lops/xsar
 - xarray-safe-s1: https://github.com/umr-lops/xarray-safe-s1
 - xarray-safe-rcm: https://github.com/umr-lops/xarray-safe-rcm
 - xradarsat2: https://github.com/umr-lops/xradarsat2
 - xarray-ceos-alos2: https://github.com/umr-lops/xarray-ceos-alos2
 - xsarsea: https://github.com/umr-lops/xsarsea
   + xrft: https://github.com/xgcm/xrft

* A set of tools for working with SpatioTemporal Asset Catalogs (STAC)
 (https://github.com/stac-utils):
 - pystac: https://github.com/stac-utils/pystac
 - pystac-client: https://github.com/stac-utils/pystac-client
 - stactools: https://github.com/stac-utils/stactools
 - MEDIUM PRIORITY
   + stac-check: https://github.com/stac-utils/stac-check
   + stac-validator: https://github.com/stac-utils/stac-validator
   + stac-vrt: https://github.com/stac-utils/stac-vrt

PySTAC and friends are a must IMHO. I still had not time to
work onto our next tool chain for being up-to-date on those regarfs, I surely will work on that from the of July and August and can
evaluate many of those tools. If you already had comments about
that it would be great.

 - LOW PRIORITY
   - stac-task: https://github.com/stac-utils/stac-task
   - xstac: https://github.com/stac-utils/xstac
   - xpystac: https://github.com/stac-utils/xpystac
   - stac-terminal: https://github.com/stac-utils/stac-terminal
   - stactools packages (https://github.com/stactools-packages)
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/sentinel1
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/sentinel1-grd
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/sentinel2
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/sentinel3
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/sentinel5p
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/landsat
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/palsar
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/esa-worldcover
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/esa-cci-lc
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/cop-dem
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/alos-dem
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/ecmwf-forecast
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/datacube
     + https://github.com/stactools-packages/browse

I think that it would be very important to have in Debian at least pystack, pystack-client and stacktools. The other ones are maybe less relevant. Maybe we could select a subset and discuss about priorities.

For all the above packages I have not even started the packaging work.
I would like to hear your opinion before doing it.

I could definitively give an hand with some of those packages,
after prioritization.