Re: GeographicLib 2.0

On 3/29/22 16:14, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
GeographicLib 2.0 has been released, which removes the language bindings from the source tree, it also renamed the library from libGeographic to libGeographicLib.

Yesterday upstream removed the 2.0 release from the download location on SF which suggests that it was a premature release.

The package has already been updated and is in experimental, it will likely need to be updated to 2.0+ds once the 2.0 release is made again to include the changes since the package was first updated to 2.0.

The python3-geographlib and node-geographiclib binary packages are no longer built. Popcon shows pretty much no usage of node-geographiclib so its removal is not big deal. python3-geographiclib does have some (but not many) users, likely via python3-geopy which will be broken once GeographLib 2.0 is in unstable. #1008603 has been filed for geopy.

There are distrib directories for C and Octave, but none for Python or Node.js at https://sourceforge.net/projects/geographiclib/files/. I have not idea what the future of Python bindings will be, I only know that I won't be packaging it.