GpsPrune 20.4

On 6/10/21 5:58 PM, debian wrote:
> According to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gpsprune it looks like
> versions 20.3 and 20.4 got automatically added into "experimental", but
> didn't make it any further.

Not automatic, the package was deliberately uploaded to experimental.

> That's fine, at first I assumed it was
> because of the looming Bullseye freezes, but now I'm looking at it again
> and I don't understand why they didn't at least get into "unstable"...

Because uploads to unstable during the freeze should only have changes
that are intended for bullseye, as documented in the Freeze Policy:

"
 Don't upload changes to unstable that are not targeted for bullseye.
 Having changes in unstable that are not targeted/appropriate for
 bullseye could complicate fixes for your package and related packages
 (like dependencies and reverse dependencies).
"

https://release.debian.org/bullseye/freeze_policy.html#soft

> I would not expect unstable to be protected by a Bullseye freeze which
> is still over a month away.

Why would you not expect that?

> So now I'm thinking maybe I've missed something, are they blocked in
> experimental for some other reason?  Do I need to do anything, like fix
> the metadata warning or something?

You don't need to do anything, GpsPrune 20.2 was in testing at time of
the freeze and will ship in bullseye unless a last minute RC bug pops up.

After the bullseye release, the packages in experimental that don't
trigger a transition like gpsprune will be moved to unstable from which
they'll migrate to testing (bookworm).