Re: Fwd: GDAL COG+LERC compression

On 9/17/20 7:56 PM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> today I tried to made some tests to generate Cloud Optimized Geotiff
> (COG) files with LERC compression.
>
> I realized that this is not possible in debian because, if I understand
> correctly, we build GDAL using system libtiff while the LERC compressor,
> according to [1], need the internal libtiff.

Yes, and that's somewhat broken by design.

libtiff should expose the features required by GDAL for this. IIRC GDAL
uses a private header currently.

We've had this discussion before, but I don't remember where, possibly
on #debian-gis.

As long as the internal copy of libtiff is required for this, we won't
be able to support it in Debian. Using the embedded copy of libtiff is
not an option, as it's too prone to security issues.