About the osgearth package in Debian and Ubuntu

Dear Bas Couwenberg and Debian GIS Project,

We are the developers of the OMNeT++/OMNEST network simulation framework (https://omnetpp.org). Our software has provided some integration for including 3D graphics visualization in our users' simulation models by utilizing OpenSceneGraph and osgEarth for some years now.
Upon upgrading to Ubuntu 20.10, we have noticed that the osgearth package is no longer present in the groovy release.
After a bit of looking around, we found that the reason for this is that it was first removed from Debian as per your (Bas's) request: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=962894

We are wondering if this complete removal was intentional, and if there is any particular reason against reintroducing it; or was it just a lack of dependent packages, interest, or volunteer power/time?
Is there a way for us to help osgearth come back into future (or maybe even the current) Debian and Ubuntu releases?

Also: What do you think is the situation regarding the recently released osgEarth 3.0? Could it make it into Debian (and Ubuntu) in the foreseeable future? Even considering that it still requires GDAL 2.x, which might conflict with other packages?

Best regards, and thank you for your work,
Attila Török