Fwd: GDAL COG+LERC compression

Sorry I forgot to cc the list

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------
Oggetto: GDAL COG+LERC compression
Data: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 19:55:38 +0200
Mittente: Antonio Valentino <antonio.valentino@tiscali.it>
A: Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@debian.org>

Dear Sebastiaan,
today I tried to made some tests to generate Cloud Optimized Geotiff
(COG) files with LERC compression.

I realized that this is not possible in debian because, if I understand
correctly, we build GDAL using system libtiff while the LERC compressor,
according to [1], need the internal libtiff.

Can you please confirm that my understanding is correct?

The strange thing, to me, is that the same limitation also applies to
the the ZSTD compressor [1], but in this case I'm perfectly able to
generate COG files with ZSTD compression in debian.

I gave a look to how we generate the package an haven't found no
specific configuration/patch regarding this aspects, so I'm wondering if
I'm missing something or if there is a small bug in the GDAL
documentation of the COG driver [1].

Do you have comments/hints?

[1] https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/cog.html#raster-cog

--