Re: Packaging of Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server

On 26/04/2019 21.36, rinigus wrote:
> Dear Debian GIS list members,
>
> I am a developer of Pure Maps (https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps) and
> OSM Scout Server (https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server). The both
> applications were originally developed for Sailfish OS to cover our
> mapping needs (map view, geocoding, routing, online/offline), but have
> been ported now to Linux desktop (Qt Controls and Kirigami). Hence, I
> wonder whether someone would be interested in packaging these programs
> for Debian.
>
> This maps stack is somewhat different from what's common on other mobile
> platforms. Out of them, Pure Maps is an application that shows maps,
> allows to search, route and perform other operations by querying
> different services. Pure Maps supports navigation, turn-by-turn
> instructions given on screen and using TTS (via mimic, flite, and picoTTS).
>
> The second application, OSM Scout Server, provides map tiles (vector and
> raster), search and route calculation services. As a result, any online
> maps client (Pure Maps, modRana, Gnome Maps), can obtain offline
> functionality with minimal effort (mainly have to adjust HTTP API calls,
> supported by Pure Maps and modRana) by accessing OSM Scout Server
> running at localhost. In addition, the server supports DBus for map
> matching. The server is built around Mapnik, libpostal, Valhalla, and
> libosmscout (older version, depricated backend for now).
>
> In offline mode, end users, when not downloading offline maps, are just
> interfacing map client software (Pure Maps or some other). OSM Scout
> Server is started automatically on the background via systemd socket
> activation and shutdown when not in use for some time. Such seamless
> integration works very well in practice and allows to have similar
> experience as all-in-one solution.
>
> The both applications are available at Flathub (no systemd socket
> activation for that version of the server).
>
> I wonder whether someone in this list would be interested in packaging
> these applications for Debian. I don't use Debian nor Debian-based
> distro for my PCs these days and would probably not be good maintainer
> for it as a result. However, I'll be happy to help and it shouldn't take
> too long if we work together with someone who has experience in Debian
> packaging. There is a significant list of libraries that would have to
> be packaged, but it should all be possible. We can get into the details
> if there is interest and discuss the libraries as well.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Rinigus

Hi Rinigus,

I'm a Debian *user* and (Q)GIS FOSS guy, not a packager though...
I was wondering if you are aware of the (debian based) Purism Librem 5
phone [0]

It would be cool to have routing possibilities on that mobile device.
Even more useful then on a laptop :-)

I've been running it using Flatpak: looks really slick!!

Thanks!

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/