Re: opencpn: binaries without source.

On 09/10/18 21:17, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> Dear list,
>

> There are also outstanding issues for unarr. You still need to remove
> the old packages from mentors, and reply to the comments for 1.0.1:
>
>  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-grass-devel/2018-October/073621.html

I actually missed this. Will look into it. That said, it does not block
opencpn.

>> In the meantime, I have looked into packaging some of the most important
>> plugins. The issue here is that several of them contains pre-compiled
>> binaries. The reasons are obvious: these plugins handles various
>> confidential chart formats.
>>
>> On Fedora, I would have to package such plugins outside Fedora,
>> practically speaking this would mean rpmfusion.
>>
>> How are such things handled by Debian?
>
> Pre-compiled binaries are not acceptable, if it cannot be built from
> source it must be excluded from the package.

Yes, they must be separate packages  - as a starter, they are separate
upstreams That said, at a glance it looks possible to add such packages
to the non-free section. If so, what needs to be considered in such a
scenario?

Or did I just get this wrong?

--a