Re: GDAL 2.3.0

On vendredi 20 avril 2018 16:43:57 CEST Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> The first beta for GDAL 2.3.0 has been released, and the gdal package

> has been updated for experimental.

Thanks Bas !

> OpenSSL support has not been enabled, since the OpenSSL 1.1.0 transition

> in Debian was quite painful, and I don't want the gdal package affected

> by the next major OpenSSL transition. I may reconsider this if there is

> enough user demand for the OpenSSL support in GDAL.

For context, as users might not realize when this is needed as this openssl dependency is rather deeply burried in the implementation details, this is needed:

- if using curl with openssl backend, and multi-threading. Otherwise you could potentially get random crashes when instanciating several connections that require SSL from several threads. But this could have occured in previous GDAL releases that didn't have yet this protection (ideally this explicit call to openssl shouldn't be needed for users of the curl API that shouldn't care about which ssl backend is used), and I'm not aware of a report of such a crash.

- if you want to use service-account authentication for Google Cloud Storage (/vsigs/) *and* GDAL is not built against libcryptopp.

http://www.spatialys.com