Re: Fate of SFCGAL in Debian

On 11/30/2017 09:22 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 11/12/2017 11:15 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> The fate of SFCGAL in Debian looks grim. The build failure reported in
>> #876521 remains unfixed, and there hasn't been any activity in the
>> upstream repo since September. The activity before that was worrying low
>> then as well.
>
> There is some activity upstream to work on compatibility with CGAL 4.11,
> especially when its built with GMPXX as the Debian package is. [0]
>
> Unfortunately this work is not completed yet, and it's unknown when/if
> it will be.

This work stalled, and it took 3 months to get CGAL developers involved
to fix the GMPXX support in a separate PR.

SFCGAL 1.3.3 is now in unstable.

>> The SFCGAL support in the postgis package will be disabled when the CGAL
>> transitions starts and no fix for #876521 is available. Since SFCGAL is
>> not in healthy state upstream, I will follow up on the postgis change by
>> having the sfcgal package removed from Debian.
>
> The CGAL transition started today, so the SFCGAL support in the postgis
> package has been disabled.

The SFCGAL support in postgis will be re-enabled in the next upload.

Because this issue showed clearly that the SFCGAL project is not in good
health, I will not enable the support in GDAL. The SFCGAL project will
need to improve a lot before I'll consider enabling the support in GDAL.

Having to deal with this shit in postgis was unpleasant enough to not
want another package in that same situation.

> If the SFCGAL build failure remains unfixed in the next few months, I'll
> request the removal of the sfcgal package from Debian.
>
>> If there are people that would like for SFCGAL to remain in Debian,
>> please get involved with the upstream project and help fix its worrying
>> state.
>
> [0] https://github.com/Oslandia/SFCGAL/pull/149

It's only a matter of time until the next issue like this arises, so if
you care about SFCGAL please get involved in the upstream project to
help make it a project we can rely on.