Re: GEOS 3.6

On 11/28/2017 09:18 AM, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> On 2017-11-28 09:00, Thomas Voß wrote:
>> we are right now investigating an issue when simplifying geometries
>> with GDAL, which seems to be caused by
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/741 in GEOS. The respective fix
>> made it to GEOS 3.6.
>>
>> We are investigating into options for pulling GEOS with the fix
>> included into our builds. Do you have plans to update GEOS to 3.6 (we
>> are happy to use unstable or backports)? If not, do you think it's
>> feasible to cherry-pick the fix into the current package?
>
> As reported on this list, updating the geos package to 3.6/3.7 is
> blocked by OSSIM. [0]
>
> The OSSIM 2.2.0 release has support for the newer GEOS, but has other
> issues that prevent its inclusion in Debian. [1]
>
> Development of the OSSIM project is less than ideal, being driven by
> funding instead of community needs. So it's unclear when the remaining
> issues will be resolved.
>
> If this takes too much time, I'll ask the OTB project to drop their
> OSSIM dependency so we can remove OSSIM from Debian to unblock the GEOS
> upgrades.
>
> Cherry-picking the fix into the geos package may be possible, but I'll
> need to investigate this further. Ideally upstream releases GEOS 3.5.2
> which that fix included.

The changes for #741 have been merged in the 3.5 branch upstream, and
included as in patch in geos (3.5.1-4). The updated package will be
available in unstable in a few hours.

I don't think the issue is severe enough to warrant a stable-update, so
the fix is unlikely to find its way into stretch. If you need it there,
you should either cherry-pick the change from 3.5.1-4 or backport the
whole package yourself.