Re: gdal utilities do not work on my Debian Buster system

Agustin,

the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the place where the system
will search for installed libraries first. By default, your system
will not look in /usr/local/lib, but you have added the /usr/local/lib
path yourself (check eg your .bashrc)
Because /usr/local/lib contains libraries needed by gdal, these
versions will be used rather than the original versions supplied by
debian. This leads to a conflict as the version is different from what
was expected.

I think setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally is a bad idea. The variable
is very useful, but I set it only when I need it, eg for applications
I compiled myself. Suppose you have a custom built qgis you could run
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/qgis

Kind Regards,
Johan