Re: MySQL support removed from GDAL & GRASS

On 9/7/2016 2:13 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
I personally don't need MySQL support as I'm using PostgreSQL for all my
database needs, so I'm perfectly happy leaving out the MySQL support.
But I don't maintain the GIS packages only for my personal needs (I
wouldn't maintain so many packages if I did). In Debian the interest of
our users carry great weight as enshrined in our Social Contract after all.

As someone who only is a user of gdal, has used MySQL, and has had to build from source to get various formats, I would consider MySQL support a low priority. I found myself needing ESRI formats far more often than anything else, and other less common non-default formats more often than MySQL.

Of course, this doesn't help you if you're one of the people who does need MySQL support, and it'd be nice to have it back eventually.