Re: status of the opencpn PPA for inclusion in Debian

Hi all,

Il 25/04/2016 04:22, Paul Wise ha scritto:
> I wasn't aware zygrib was a Qt application. In the ideal world there
> would be a GRIB library that could be shared by all the applications
> supporting the GRIB format, instead of everyone re-implementing this.
> Based on Wikipedia there appear to be some possibilities for this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRIB
>
> GDAL is already a library so in an ideal world the opencpn changes to
> that could be merged into GDAL and opencpn could depend on that.

IMVHO supporting grib in gdal would be a great improvement, which would
promote integration with other packages as well (I think of QGIS for
instance).
Also, I do not think forking GDAL is a good idea. GDAL has a very lively
dev community, and I'm sure will accept patches and improvements.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu