Re: license file

On 2016-03-29 10:31, Martin Landa wrote:
I wanted to ask you how to correctly pack license file? GRASS daily
package which still use out-dated control file puts license file to

$ dpkg -L grass-daily-core | grep license
/usr/lib/grass71/etc/license

The extra license file is removed because it largely duplicates the copyright file, lintian reports extra license files and suggests to remove them:

 https://lintian.debian.org/tags/extra-license-file.html

The debian/rules implements the extra license file removal:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/grass.git/tree/debian/rules#n128

Since the file is required for the `--version` option to work correctly, the file should not be removed and a lintian override added instead to document the need to have the license file installed.

Or the code in question should handle the absence of this file gracefully as `gui/wxpython/gui_core/ghelp.py` does for `GPL.TXT`.

QGIS was affected by a similar issue, that was solved by symlinking the GPL-2 text (from /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2) to `/usr/share/qgis/doc/LICENSE`, we can do that for GRASS too.