Re: Establishing dialogue between the Debian project and OGC regarding Document & Software Notice terms

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> In the PyCSW discussion a good argument was made about the OGC Software
> Notice terms not being problematic for Debian, because its terms are
> identical to the W3C licenses and we have files licensed under those
> terms in main:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-grass-devel/2014-November/027146.html
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2015-February/000845.html
>
> Are the terms of the 'W3C Software and Document Notice and License' DFSG
> complaint? If so, wouldn't it be sufficient to unambiguously license the
> OGC CITE tests and XSD schemas under those terms to be DFSG compliant too?

The Software license looks fine.  It is the Document license which is
problematic.  The first link above claims that there are many files
already in Debian already under the W3C document license.  I could not
find any with a cursory search.  Do you have specific examples of
files that Debian ships that are covered by the W3C Document license?

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@caltech.edu