Re: netcdf Transition

> To process large dataset this is an important feature to support.

Exactly my use case.

> After the GCC 5 transitions are completed we need to revisit this topic

Would it avoid troubles later on if we took the opportunity and rename the netcdf package(s) to netcdf-*-serial now?

--Nico

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 02-08-15 17:17, Nico Schlömer wrote:
>> also switches back to
>> the HDF5 serial variant because we cannot provide only the MPI variant.
>
> Dang, this was the most important thing for me. I have been under the
> assumption that using MPI provides all the capabilities that the serial
> variant provides, plus parallel computation. Were build failures related to
> the fact that we used to ship MPI versions?

Yes, the ncview & gmt FTBFS were directly caused by only having the MPI
variant available. Most others were only caused by the non-standard HDF5
library paths that were all fixed with the patched nc-config & netcdf.pc.

After the GCC 5 transitions are completed we need to revisit this topic
and take Gilles up on his offer to help netcdf support co-installable
MPI variants as HDF5 does. To process large dataset this is an important
feature to support.

Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1