Re: New releases libosmium, osmium-tool, osmcoastline

On 03/31/2015 09:59 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> I have created new upstream releases for libosmium, osmium-tool, and
> osmcoastline. Most important is a race condition fix. And osmcoastline
> now has man pages.

Cool! I may look into it now, because I'm not sure if I'll have time
tomorrow, otherwise I'll look into in on Thursday.

> Unfortunately I don't understand what I am supposed to do to bring the
> debian repositories up to date with those versions... even after reading
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html .

Have you also read the "Upgrading to a new upstream release" section in
the "Packaging walkthrough"?

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-new-upstream

This section documents the typical first steps for updating existing
packaging for a new upstream release.

The section still needs to be expanded of typical things to do after and
while refreshing the patches, most importantly reviewing license &
copyright changes, possible new dependencies, etc.

I appreciate feedback what to improve in our documentation to make it
more useful as a reference for these kinds of tasks.

A known issue high on my wishlist is a (sub)TOC for the "Packaging
walkthrough" to ease navigation to the relevant sections, but subTOCs
for only the walkthrough section are not easily done with DocBook. At
least I haven't found a way to do it yet without modifying the stylesheet.