Re: Packaging GRASS 7

On 02/21/2015 02:48 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
>> The official Debian package doesn't use the the package name grass70, it
>> does use grass70 for the grass executable.
>>
>> If GRASS 7.1 will not be co-installable with GRASS 7.0 we could rename
>> the executable to grass7 and use it for both.
>
> GRASS 71 will be possible to co-install with GRASS 70, there is no
> problem (assuming that GRASS is installed to
> /usr/lib/grass$major$minor directory).

The co-installation of different GRASS packages is mostly relevant for
GRASS upstream, since Debian only ships a single GRASS version.

> I am just speaking about package naming which is apparently wrong on Launchpad.

No, for your upstream needs this is fine.

> So IIUW, Debian will come with `grass` package [1], right? So, no
> `grass7` package...

Correct. The official Debian package has not adopted the version
specific source packages because only a single GRASS version will be
shipped.

For Ubuntu users this means that they'll have the grass source package
available in the universe repository, and the grass70 & grass71 source
packages from the GRASS PPA.

Ordinary users will use the grass package from Ubuntu, and advanced
users and developers are likely to use the versions from the PPA.

Since PPA packages don't need to pass the NEW queue, having different
source packages is not a problem. In Debian this can cause long delays
between upload and inclusion of the package in the archive, a strong
argument to stick to a single source package where possible.