Re: fiona packaging

On 10/17/2014 01:57 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> Anyway, the reason I'm mailing is a simple question: fiona also
> install a binary 'fio' (see [2] for some of its uses). However there
> is already another package which has a binary called fio [3] in
> debian.
>
> What would be the recommended solution here? conflict on fio, rename
> the  binary to eg fiona, rename and have a symlink, ....

The relevant Policy section is 7.4:

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-conflicts

The key sentence:

"
Be aware that adding Conflicts is normally not the best solution when
two packages provide the same files. Depending on the reason for that
conflict, using alternatives or renaming the files is often a better
approach. See, for example, Binaries, Section 10.1.
"

The key sentence from Section 10.1 is:

"
Two different packages must not install programs with different
functionality but with the same filenames. (The case of two programs
having the same functionality but different implementations is handled
via "alternatives" or the "Conflicts" mechanism. See Maintainer Scripts,
Section 3.9 and Conflicting binary packages - Conflicts, Section 7.4
respectively.) If this case happens, one of the programs must be
renamed. The maintainers should report this to the debian-devel mailing
list and try to find a consensus about which program will have to be
renamed. If a consensus cannot be reached, both programs must be renamed.
"

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-binaries

With the above in mind, I think it's best to rename the 'fio' binary
from fiona to either 'fiona' or 'fiona-fio'.

Since the binaries don't provide the a different implementation of the
same functionality, using alternatives is not appropriate in this case.

 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1