Re: Debian GIS tasks layout (Was: [SCM] gis branch, master, updated. 3877275fba8820581da281fbbc32c3764c73baca)

Hi Sebastiaan,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:38:19AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> > In any case:  If you confirm you understood this general philosophy but
> > insist that your task layout makes sense that's fine for me - just to
> > let you know.
>
> I understand that the meta packages are to be installed by users.

OK.

> The tasks serve the additional purpose of listing packages part of
> Debian GIS to feed the thermometer.

Hmmm, for the thermometer there is no point in having more than one
binary package from one source package.  Since the thermometer is source
package based it matches if a single binary package of one source
package is mentioned in a task.

> A devel tasks seems like a good idea to put all Debian GIS -dev
> packages. Then we can at least track all libraries that don't also ship
> executables.

This is the idea behind devel tasks.

> Currently librasterlite is part of the workstation task via its
> rasterlite-bin binary package. Similarly libkml is part of the
> workstation task via its java and python bindings, although these are
> only suggested.

The thermometer does not distinguish between Depends and Suggests.

> Because spatialite-bin was split from the spatialite package into its
> own spatialite-tools source, the spatialite package providing the
> library is not part of any task. Nor was the new libgaiagraphics
> dependency of spatialite-gui part of any task.

Ahhh, OK.  This explains your motivation and I see that my explanation
above was redundant.

> Since there libraries will be installed because they're dependencies of
> the task, I didn't see a problem in adding them explicitly for the
> benefit of the thermometer.

No, it is no problem at all.  The philosophy behind usually leaving out
libraries is rather not to confuse users by to many things and not
bloating the list of packages to much.

> AFAIK the thermometer only checks packages listed in the tasks files,
> not their dependencies that would be installed when the meta package is.

Thats perfectly correct and there is no point in listing dependencies
(because you do not want to see perl, python, libc showing up in your
thermomerter, right?)

In short:  I see you had good reasons for adding the libraries and this
is fine.  May be by creating decent devel tasks your problem could be
solved more elegantly.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--