Re: Input on package thermometer (Was ... long ago: package thermometer improvements)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:18:29AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just notice that the discussion is quite aged (two years) but finally I
> found a quite easy mechanism to implement the GIS package thermometer for
> all Blends.  If you run the script available under
>
>    http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=blends/website.git;a=blob;f=misc/sql/gis-thermometer.sh
>
> with the command line option 'debian-gis' on alioth you get all data
> needed for the Debian GIS package thermometer[1] (as well as the Ubuntu
> version - please tell me whether those Ubuntu releases might be
> sufficient or you prefer other releases listed as well).
>
> I attached a gzipped output of
>
>    gis-thermometer.sh debian-gis
>
> to this mail to give you a quick overview about the data.
>
> What is left to do is some wrapper to turn this into a web page -
> perhaps in parallel to the existing tasks and bugs pages of the web
> sentinel.  So I would write a Genshi template and a Python wrapper
> around the query to finalise this if you agree with this procedure.

Nice results thanks.

> The only thing that need to be adopted from Debian GIS team is the way
> you are specifying your not yet packaged target software.  I have no
> idea in what way you do thie inside the GIS thermometer but I'd
> recommend to follow other Blends techniques.  The best way would be to
> inject a packaging skeleton into VCS.  This is parsed and injected into
> UDD and thus can be easily used inside the query.  Finally it is a
> preparation for your intended goal to package the software.  I checked
> that it takes about three minutes to fill in some skeleton debina/control,
> debian/changelog and debian/copyright (machine readable, only the first
> License field is parsed - no need for completing everything).  If you
> do not have this three minutes per package I doubt that there will be
> any serious work done in the next year and so it can be easily droped
> from your todo list to do it at some point in time later.  In case your
> agree to this prospective package in VCS method simply mentioning the
> binary package name inside the tasks file is sufficient to let all
> tools (inclusive the to be finished thermometer) sufficiently.

IMHO the list of package of interest could be easily and alternatively
maintained on the wiki, without adding more complications to people
already overloaded and overstressed :)

> Just let me know if you like this idea and I'll go on with the Genshi
> template to create Debian Blends thermometer (+ optional Ubuntu
> thermometer, probably even enhanced to "other derivatives" thermometer).

I personally like it