Re: Google Summer of Code, working for you

Hi Hamish,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 02:10:58AM -0700, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> by way of a head's-up, the UbuntuGIS team have secured a
> Google Summer of Code student to work for the summer improving
> and updating their .deb packaging, and with an eye to setting
> up a repository for new software releases backported to Wheezy.

Thanks for spreading the good news.

> "Enhancements to the DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS packages and
> repositories"
>
>   https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/jlarouche/16001
>
> Jérôme starts coding shortly, mentored by Alan and Daniel. The
> more we help the better results for everyone.
>
> see some community wishlist and discussion of goals here:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.ubuntu/474

Just subscribed.

> I believe the UbuntuGIS mailing list should be the primary
> place for discussions about the project itself. It involves
> us, and there's a good chance that one of $your packages will
> be altered, so I hope interested parties will be available to
> give Jérôme a hand when he needs it and provide some guidance
> about what we want pushed upstream to us and what our DebianGIS-
> stack plans are. (no point in duplicated effort or lots of work
> put into an area which we've taken a strategic decision to bypass)

I've done something to update mkgmap (#580170) which is definitely not
my package but nobody seems to care any more.  The new predepends I
packaged for this (libfastutil-java) is hanging in new&byhand[1] since
one week and there is another (way harder to package) new dependency.
It would be great if some gifted Java developer could take over.  I'll
post it in the relevant thread.

I'd also like to know about my offer to bring up the GIS Thermometer
onto UDD information would be welcome or not.

> the timing wrt the debian release cycle is pretty great, I hope
> we can make good use of this opportunity.
>
> Communication, as always, is key.

Yes, and for this actual list it is decreasing[2].

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
[2] http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_debian-gis.png