Re: request for pkg review (ITP #538067)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Hamish <hamish_b@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it is been a while since our last review of the OpenCPN
> packaging, and the stable release we were working towards
> has now shipped. Our .deb packaging efforts await further
> instructions.
>

> source tarball:
>  http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/tarballs/opencpn_2.5.0+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
>
> debian/ packaging files:
>  svn co svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-grass/packages/opencpn/trunk/debian
>
> earlier review+comments can be found in the ITP:
>  http://bugs.debian.org/538067
>

> You'll notice our source tarball is labeled dfsg. This is because
> there were some included DLLs to help build the MS Windows
> version of the program which we didn't need/want for the Linux
> build, the source code itself is untouched.

Is the source included for those DLLS? If so, I'm not convinced you
need to DFSG repack, but someone else can chime in. I don't think just
because upstream uses krufty practices that it should be repacked.
Now, if it had a nonfree issue, and while you're in there you cleaned
it up, I'm sure that'd be fine.

Again, perhaps a DD can chime in. Was the source included for the DLLs?

> With respect to that, the one unanswered question Anton & myself
> had was if the version in debian/changelog needed to exactly
> match the filename of the source package? i.e. do we need to
> include "dfsg" in the version number?

Yeah, you do. Lintian should complain if it's wrong. Take a look at
the source to Fluxbox, we have a dfsg repack in place. Here's a
snippit for you:

      fluxbox (1.3.1~dfsg1-2) unstable; urgency=low

> I would prefer not to as our build is bit-for-bit identical to
> the upstream source distribution, and amending the version number
> gives the impression that upstream is somehow not DFSG. There

Are they DFSG? Why repack if it's already DFSG?