Re: packaging geoserver

Slightly unrelated but when I packaged it I isolated geoserver & its binary (its much easier to manage in its own jetty instance in terms of memory limits & sun java home etc)

The unofficial package was built just using the binaries for 2.1rc5, though I know it doesn't meet debian packaging standards.

See: https://bitbucket.org/adonm/geoserver/

Email I sent to geoserver-users

Hi All,
I packaged geoserver 2.1-RC5 with java advanced imaging for ubuntu/debian, only tested on Ubuntu 10.04 but should work on any debian based release that has sun-java6-jdk and upstart. The source is available on my bitbucket account (https://bitbucket.org/adonm/geoserver), run 'make' in the cloned repository to build the deb. Plain deb (~64MB) will also be available for download on same bitbucket site once my sluggish connection gets it uploaded.
Note that its just the binary distribution setup to run nice =), all the environment variables are configurable in '/etc/default/geoserver' (e.g. port, jvm memory settings/other options, geoserver home, geoserver data dir)
Geoserver home defaults to /opt/geoserver
Data dir defaults to /var/local/geoserver and is preserved across upgrades along with conf in /etc/default/geoserver
Log file in data_dir/logs/geoserver.log is symlinked to /var/log/geoserver.log
I'll try and keep it at least within a month of the latest release as we use it quite heavily at work (Western Australia govt)
Kind Regards,
Adon