Re: [DebianGIS] postgis make template_gis

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:40:14PM -0400, Mike Leahy wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I know I'm perhaps coming at this from left field, but could this kind of thing
> be made optional, or maybe put into a separate package?  I recall this being
> implemented with the windows installer in PostGIS, and I found it made the
> installation procedure more cumbersome (e.g., it couldn't be installed if you
> didn't have the postgres db password on hand and local connections weren't
> trusted by default, or maybe you didn't have the PostgreSQL service running at
> the time which would also cause it to fail).  However, perhaps my experience
> is different than others?

Adding templating to postinst is out of question. What could be done is
a specific script to be called by the admin to make more easy first
steps with postgis, just in case, at his/her will.

> Apart from that, I also wonder about what happens when PostGIS gets upgraded -
> even for minor version?  Would there be any measures taken to either update
> the template with the appropriate update script, and/or drop and recreate the
> template?
>
> These are just questions that I have - I hope you don't mind me bringing them
> up here.  Maybe these potential issues are already taken into consideration?

Updating/upgrading is potentially a dangerous step, which could require
dumping and restoring the db. Specific (documented) good practices need
to be followed, something that a simple script could fail to do, one
size does not fit all...