Re: [DebianGIS] OpenDAP/DODS support

> > may I suggest that it be built as a gdal plugin, much like the
> > libgdal1-1.[5-7].0-grass plugin is separately packaged?

I just recently discovered that OpenDAP libraries are now being included
built-in in the new netcdf4 : http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/. Did
not try it out myself yet. Then maybe we should think of dropping the
unmaintained OpenDAP support into GDAL but rather go for netcdf4. I am sure
OpenDAP will be maintained in time much better inside netcdf than in GDAL.

Is netcdf4 included in debianGIS? (cannot immediately test right now as I am not
a Debian user)

Is GDAL supporting netcdf4? If so, could I then access OpenDAP in R? (through
rgdal R package)

Is the ncdf R package support netcdf4? If so, maybe I could access OpenDAP in R
through ncdf.

OpenDAP is a very good and widely used protocol to share data over the internet.
UNIDATA now confirms this by including it into their netcdf-4. Moreover, the
internal data models of netcdf, hdf and OpenDAP have been merged into the
Common Data Model, CDM, http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/.
I think it will be very wise to include OpenDAP/netcdf-4 support in DebianGIS.

I am ready to be a part of the team and help for this and many other things. All
I need is a little be of help to get me started.

Servet