[DebianGIS] Fw: Re: [Proj] NAD27 and WGS84 woes

fwd from the PROJ4 ML re. a "proj-data" package; the datum distortion grid
data files can be found here:
  ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj-datumgrid-1.4.tar.gz

release thread:
  http://www.nabble.com/proj-datumgrid-1.4-issued-td18581042.html

README.NADUS says:
"       US/Canada/New Zealand Datum Shifting Files

To build, and install proj with US NAD83/NAD27 datum shifting support, it
is necessary to place these in the proj/nad directory before configuring,
building, and installing proj.

These files should work with pretty much any version of PROJ.4, but are
known to work with PROJ 4.3.x and PROJ 4.4.x.
"

so the proj package would need to build-depends on proj-data; I've no idea
of the consequences of the grid files being missing at run time if only
the proj package is installed on the user's system.

Also, I don't know if it is relevant, but ISTR that GRASS processes the
ascii files to binary in an endian sensitive way.

Hamish