Re: [DebianGIS] delete alioth trackers?

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Hamish <hamish_b@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Paul Wise wrote:
>> I noticed that some people are using the alioth trackers to
>> file bugs:
>
> (but not in the last 3 years)

Well, I deleted one posted recently asking the submitter to post to the BTS:

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410558&aid=311052&group_id=30241

> I looked through them and closed the ones which were no longer relevant.

Thanks.

> 1) GRASS copyright.
> My understanding (after checking the linux-image copyright file as an example of a well studied large project) is that the /usr/share/doc/copyright file refers to the Debian packaging effort not the source code. The circa 1 million SLOC GRASS source has been systematically vetted for GPL compliance twice- The first time was just before GRASS went into CVS in 1999 (birth of GPL'd GRASS 5; prior to that it was US Gov't Public Domain) and the second time was last year* as part of the membership process to join the OSGeo Foundation. I am confident that everything is in order there but leave it to a DD to close the bug as I might be looking at the request from the wrong point of view. Otherwise I'd close it without a worry.
>
> [*] e.g. we had special permission from the author to use Numerical Recipies in C code, but have now removed that anyway. We don't require that authors assign copyright to GRASS Dev Team or the OSGeo Foundation, but we do require that all submitted code is GPL>=2. See the GRASS Project Steering Committee RFC2 document for more; all devs must agree to that before gaining access to SVN.

debian/copyright refers to both the upstream copyright and the debian
packaging. Historically it only dealt with upstream copyright info and
rarely touched on the debian packaging copyright/license.

> 2) OpenEV. Refers to a still-present bug in the DebianGIS package. This package is not part of Debian (yet) and so the Alioth seems a suitable home for the bug. I'd be happy to adjust the control file in SVN if I knew what the obsolete dependency needed as a replacement.
>
> Because of the class of bug (2) I would vote to keep the Alioth trackers open for packages-in-development by DebianGIS but not in Debian yet.
> Those bugs have no home in the Debian BTS but are still useful.

openev doesn't seem to have made an upstream release in a couple of
years and the latest release uses GTK+ 2 so python-gtkextra should not
be needed.

--
bye,
pabs