[DebianGIS] Copyright of josm packaging (GPL 2+ vs 3+)?

I am planning to upload a new version of josm, and ran into something
that surprised me.  josm is licensed GPL v2 and later, while the
packaging have a different license:

  Files: debian/*
  Copyright: Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Andreas Putzo
             Copyright (c) 2008 Petter Reinholdtsen
             Copyright (c) 2008 Giovanni Mascellani
  License: GPL-3+
   The Debian packaging information is under the GPL, version 3 or later.
   On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General
   Public License
   Version 3 can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3'.

When was it decided to use a different license on the package and the
packaging?  I must have missed the discussion.  I would prefer it to
be the same, to avoid any surprises when copying stuff back and forth.
Any objections to changing the license of the packaging to be the same
as josm?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen