Re: [DebianGIS] HDF4 status

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
Looking into hdf4 package my first impulse is rewriting all from scratch
in order to use debhelper and modernize the package scripts. So, I would
wait to have a new generation package before moving it in svn. HDF5 pkg seems instead a product of the current century (not joking).

Francesco,

Note that regardless of how crappy the current hdf4 packaging or even the
current hdf4 library is, there will be HDF4 data in wide use for a decade
to come, and the hdf5 library does not handle hdf4 (as far as I know).

So, I think, one way or another, HDF4 support needs to be there.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com