Re: [DebianGIS] OpenLayers 2.5 Debian Packaging

Okay, I've now split this into three packages:

 * openlayers: installs docs, lib, theme, css, etc.
 * openlayers-utils: Installs Python library and binary
 * openlayers-apache: Installs and enables an apache config for
   OpenLayers, so that the examples work out of the box.

> A couple questions that I ran into:
>  * Is the 'install an apache site' thing an accepted practice? I based
>    that off the jpoker stuff, which the maintainer had set up upstream
>    before he packaged it for debian.

I think installing this as a seperate package makes this issue less
important, but correct me if I'm wrong.

>  * Should I make two binary packages -- one for openlayers,
>    one for utils?
>
>    Thinking about it, that's probably the right way to go, so I'll go
>    ahead and do that shortly. (This will be my first experience with a
>    single source package creating ultiple binary pakages.)

Done.

>  * The build tool includes a shortened license text at the top of the
>    single file builds, to comply with the licenses of the included
>    software. It looks like
>    http://svn.openlayers.org/trunk/openlayers/build/license.txt . I've
>    included this file in the 'build' directory, and lintian is whining
>    at me for having a second license file. Is this a warning that can
>    safely be ignored, given the special circumstances here? Trying to
>    turn the much longer
>    http://svn.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/debian/copyright into the
>    above is more pain than I'm interested in.
>
>  * Right now, I'm stashing files like
>    http://svn.openlayers.org/sandbox/crschmidt/debian/openlayers-apache-conf
>    into the debian directory -- is this how others who can't control
>    their upstream package do it? (With TileCache, I'd probably just make
>    an 'examples' directory and stash it there.)

Would still appreciate any feedback on these.

Since I think that I've got everything reasonably close, I've gone ahead
and uploaded to mentors.debian.net, since that seemed to show a lot of
issues that didn't get found, and indeed, found that I had broken
something. :) I also found that the lintian on mentors doesn't complain
about the license thing above.

  http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/openlayers/
  http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=openlayers

Feedback welcome.