[DebianGIS] Debconf7 meeting minutes
A very restricted :) meeting among some d-gis folks just happened in EDI.
We collected a few ideas and to-do things of interest for the project:
A the same time, a reporting page for novelties about the project
and contributions are very welcome.
I'm starting to prepare an official summer 'Bits from DebianGis' announce
as promised in the meeting based on that and my memory.
For people who hates linking and wiking around :) this is the text of the minutes:
A restricted DebianGis meeting happened in Edimburgh at last day of DC7 2007-06-23 15:00+0100.
People from DebianGis team present were FrancescoPaoloLovergine, PaulWise, Petter Reinholdtsen.
Also present Andreas Tille, of DebianMed.
We brainstormed about the status of the project and possible improvements.
* Lack of human resources is a major problem for DebianGis as well
as other sub-projects in Debian. We need to improve the situation
and concentrate efforts where they are really required. It needs
some promotion, blogging and stuff to be more sexy for general
developers and possibly free GIS folks community.
* It is better to drop the current DebianGis archive, which has also
issues due to debpool defects, just to use backports.org for
backporting stuff, which also provides multi-arch buildd support. A
few packages still missing in main and present in the DebianGis
archive need to be moved into SVN before that. Their current status
* The new DebianLive project can be used for producing some new
DebianGis live-CD on regular or so basis.
* Preparing regular reports for d-d-a every 6 months or so for
recruitment of new interested people and show the global status of
the project to all interested parties.
* Maintaining a wiki page to collect things done when they are done,
in order to prepare the half-year status report. That page is now
* Starting working on Java stuff before the java-in-main happens,
just to be prepaired for that. Packages can be uploaded to contrib,
then moved to main.
* Collecting CPAN perl stuff to be packaged for freegis developers.
* Collecting Python stuff ?
* Frankie is working on [WWW] ossim and possibly [WWW] paraview.
* Running piuparts on all d-gis packages for QA maintainance.
Frankie is waiting a project box for that and possibly other project
* Proposals for [WWW] DebianGis status page improvements:
o adding a column for testing
o adding BTS stuff (RC bugs for instance) for all packages of interest
o adding secondary dependencies in order to know what external blockers
(non DebianGis) could be around that we need to push by means of a QA action.
Francesco P. Lovergine