Re: [DebianGIS] [Fwd: Re: Hijack or remove postgis]

* Fabio Tranchitella (kobold@debian.org) wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:28 +0300, alex bodnaru wrote:
> > yes, the one marked 1.1.0-7.
> > alex
>
> Just a quick note: I'm already reviewing the Alex's package.

Great!

> I fully agree with Stephen, the package is more complex of what we needs
> and we are working to have a simplified release. My plan is to fix and
> upload it to unstable as soon as possible (a few days).

I'd really like an opportunity to take a look at it before it's uploaded
to the NEW queue (again...).  As I've pointed out to Alex, I really
don't feel there is any need to complicate the packaging by trying to
support multiple major Postgres releases at the same time.  There's no
intention (that I'm aware of anyway) to try and support multiple major
Postgres versions in any Debian release.

The way I envision it working is along these lines:
unstable has 7.4
sarge released with 7.4
unstable updated to 8.1
etch released with 8.1

The sarge and etch releases, since they're using different major
versions and have different binary package names, for the Postgres
modules, would not overlap.  This would allow a given user to have both
installed at the same time and be able to upgrade from 7.4 to 8.1
easily.  At no point does this require the build system to be able to
build for multiple Postgres versions.

The same is true across a timeline for testing or unstable, really.  In
all cases, users need to be aware that the packages for older Postgres
versions aren't being maintained but for a package like PostGIS I really
don't feel that's an issue...

	Thanks,

		Stephen