Re: [DebianGIS] problem to import vector data

This question might be better suited for the grass users' mailing
list..  http://grass.ibiblio.org/community/support.php

but,

> I try to import vector data from text file with v.in.ascii command
> The text file format is very simple :
> x1|y2
> x2|y2
> I try the following command:
> v.in.ascii input=coords.txt output=thevect
> it works but I get the output :
>
> Maximum input row length: 19
> Maximum number of columns: 2
> Minimum number of columns: 2
> Building topology ...
> 0 primitives registered
..

> witch seems that it reads well the number of lines and columns of the
> file, but didn't create any points.
> I do not have any idear of what's wrong here.

try turning up the Debug message level.

G6> g.gisenv set="DEBUG=5"
G6> v.in.ascii input=coords.txt output=thevect

That might help you see what's going on.
(column includes a non-number so treated as a string? column header
line? blank line at end of file?)

when finished turn debug level down to 0. The higher the number (up to
5) the more detailed messages you'll see. 5 is _very_ verbose.

Hamish