Re: [DebianGIS] Improving the debiangis-status page (Was: paraview)

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:19:15PM +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> my suggestion is to remove all older packages ASAP from d-gis repo - this is
> proving very confusing for new users (I had several requests on our Italian
> mailing lists). I would leave in d-gis only those packages who cannot go to
> debian main. This should be true for cvs packages only (especially grass,
> maybe qgis).

Well, a sid user has not problem at all on that regard. Apt already skip
obsolete packages. We have currently an etch issue (due to netcdf) but
that's unavoidable. Anyway removing old packages is useful, I'll see
if I can manage to rebuild the debpool db successfully after purging
obsoleted packages.

> BTW: Radim is compiling qgis+grass for windows. This is not directly
> interesting for me, but I think is is rather paradoxical that windows users
> are having a clear advantage over debian users, because they can install the
> latest version from cvs without hassles, whereas we're forced to wait months
> after the official release. I do not want to start a flame, nor to blame
> anybody, but I would like to follow the mission of debiangis, which is:
> "to make it [Debian] the best distribution for Geographical Information
> Systems applications and users".
> All the best.
> pc

As already stated, users should use stable backports, whose packages I release
from time to time (at least some of the most useful). I currently have a complete
up-to-date toolchain for stable, but for current mapserver, which requires a bit of work
for backporting. Cooperation on those regards would be nice: please
ensure to not break back-compatibility with sid-only build-deps for
instance.