Re: [DebianGIS] postgis

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:18:43AM +0200, alex bodnaru wrote:

> hi,
>
> postgis.debs are undergoing big changes those days, to fulfill the
> requirements of debian packaging standards.
> the version to be uploaded on debian main will be limited to the
> packages wanted there, but on debian gis there will allways be a version
> of postgis that would support every upstream supported postgresql
> installation and every debian version since woody.
> i hope this way would be best to service both debian and especially
> debian-gis communities.

Yes, it looks great. In the meantime I hope debpool will be fixed
for a minor issue with multiple uploads...

> ps. next, i would like to work with gdal, thuban, qgis upstream
> developers to add a classic and stable c++ interface to gdal, that will
> allow free upgrading of gdal without breaking c++ clients. this is not a
> debian-only issue.

This is also a good thing. I overviewed the gdal code and it seems
requiring a good deal of work to encapsulate C++ and C stuff in
different modules, as FrankW explained. I hope you will get success in that.