Re: [DebianGIS] Open Source Geospatial Foundation and Debian GIS?

On 2/8/06, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> So, the Open Source Geospatial Foundation is being organized.  Check
> <URL:http://industry.slashgeo.org/industry/06/02/06/213205.shtml> for
> info on that topic.  Should the Debian GIS subproject join forces with
> them?

Petter,

There was some discussion at the Chicago meeting of the
need to provide "ready to use" binaries to folks on different
platforms, and I did suggest that OSGeo should try and
cooperate with efforts such as the DebianGIS group, as well
as other similar efforts for other packaging systems (ie. RPM,
Fink, RPM, various win32).

One possibility would be for DebianGIS to become a
foundation project.  But at the least I would like some
sort of formal liaison between the us such that the appropriate
OSGeo projects would appear in DebianGIS.  That would
mean pointers to DebianGIS on the foundation web site,
and raising the profile of DebianGIS with some of the
upstream maintainers.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com