Re: [DebianGIS] libgdal renaming

On 1/9/06, Jon Saints <saintsjd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lets clarify and visualize the process...
>
>  1. We patch our own gdal 1.3.1 sources and rename the actual library to include the version number
>  2. upload packages to debian
>  3. recompile all realted software once only (mapserver, qgis etc)
>      (*** will we need to patch these sources also to find the right gdal library? **)
>  4. A new gdal 1.3.2 comes out
>  5. we patch the gdal sources and name the new library 1.3.2
>  6. upload to debian
>  7. mapserver and qgis will continue to run as is.  They can upgrade to new gdal at their leisure because old gdal library 1.3.1 will still be in the debian repository.
>
>  Does any one see any problems with the process?  If we would need to also patch mapserver and qgis sources inorder to use libgdal1.3.1.so instead of libgdal1.so then I dont think this is a good way to do it.

Jon,

When the patch GDAL 1.3.1 is installed, please insure that
"gdal-config --libs" returns -lgdal1.3.1 instead of the current
-lgdal so that applications that configure properly based on
the gdal-config output don't break.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com