Re: [DebianGIS] Re: Re: GIS tools missing in Debian?

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:57:01PM +0200, alex bodnaru wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am increasingly convinced that the debian spirit should be better
> understood:
>
> as main debian is striving to a rock stable environment, the satelite
> debian projects, as debian gis, should provide state of the specific art
> packages, all suitable for stable, too.
>
> in my opinion, main debian should contain only really generic tools and
> libraries, to make it hard for a debian subproject to conflict with.

I agree. Specific packages should be contained in subpackages. Custom
debian distributions (CDD) seem to be a good solution to me. In my opinion it
would be nice to have a CDD called debian-gis and perhaps
debian-gis-server, debian-gis-desktop, debian-gis-gps etc.

Those CDDs could be released much more often than the core debian to
respond to the needs of GIS users. Skolelinux is a good example for that.

Greetings,

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/