[DebianGIS] Re: [GRASSLIST:8886] compilation problem

[cc DebianGIS, hope that's ok guys]

> > BTW, what do you think of packaging 6.1, at least for DebianGIS? I
> > do not like  people still using the old grey gis manager.
>
> ... right - but Debian will never accept a non-released package,
> right?

Right. For my part, I think only official GRASS releases in official
Debian is the correct way to go. On the DebianGIS repository we could
host CVS packages of course. (I will not be the person packaging that
but I am happy for them to exist. Package named eg as "grass-cvs", not
"grass")

[re. what is stored in the upstream GRASS CVS debian/ dir]
I think it is better for us to have instructions on how someone can do
this themselves (with working control files of course). I'm pretty sure
it is just 1-2 commands. Maybe Paolo can help with these as I don't know
the "correct" way. "cd /usr/src/grass-6.0.1/ && dpkg-buildpackage"?
Put in grass6/debian/INSTALL or README? ditto for Redhat/FC rpm specs.

The control file (in GRASS's source tree) needs to work on unstable but
be backwards compatible with stable; but we need to favour stable..
Trying to match moving targets is just too much work to keep up with on
a weekly basis and creates unnecessary noise in the CVS history. i.e.
keep everything generic so that say the GRASS version of the debian
files will work on Ubuntu et al. as well if that is possible.. I don't
think we should maintain upstream the Debian specific patches which are
not intended for upstream, as then we are responsible for tracking/
updating/fixing them whenever Debian changes.

I would prefer that Steve H. or Moritz maintained the grass6/debian
directory rather than myself. I am a Debian user, not a Debian devel
and don't have the needed skills.

Hamish