Re: [DebianGIS] PostGIS status

Hi Neil,

Do expect some issues when you upgrade to postgresql 8.0 and postgis 1.0.
This mostly because older versions of postgis 0.9) are not compatible
with newer versions (1.0).  Depending on how much fancy stuff you use
from postgresql and especially from the contrib section, other issues
might arise.
However we were succesfull so it is probably not impossible ;-)

We (I actually so attribute its uglyness to me) created a very
preliminary wiki page with hints on two different approaches
described.

Personally I used the first with several versions of postgresql and
postgis running at the same time (easily done with installing the
postgresql-common package) and that approach worked fine for me.

The other method is based on the more straightforward dump/restore
method, but with some creativity to ensure that the newly upgraded
postgis functions are not overwritten by the restore operation. That
was very succesfull for their set-up.

A hybrid approach is a good possibility I think. So installing both
versions of Postgresql and upgrade one into the other without deleting
the old, but using the method of restoring as an ordinary user to
prevent overwriting the functions. There are most likely better/easier
way's to do this, please share if anybody can improve.

So please share you experiences with us (also bad ones!), so everybody
can benifit and we will try to answer questions or help with
suggestions where we can. I'm still planning on making the wikipage
better, but anyone who feels inspired is welcome to work on it!

Good luck!

Floris Sluiter