Re: [DebianGIS] sources.list in Ubuntu

I agree with Francesco that it is most effective to
base all development of the DebianGIS team on Debian
distributions.  We would be greatly slowed by attempts
to develop GIS packages for other distros; keeping
track of bugs and patches would get complicated.

That said, There is growing interest in Ubuntu on many
fronts.  My personal interest in in the Ubuntu Breezy
release. I am creating a "sync" of debianGIS for
Breezy.  Breezy offers stable versions of postgresql
7.4 and 8.0. This is something that debian Stable does
not have.  For now, Breezy is by far the best option
for postgis on postgresql 8.0.

My vision is this: We develop all GIS packages for
debian unstable. Bugs and patches will be made for
debian only.  When we feel that there are stable
enough packages in the debianGIS repository, it would
be easy enough to "sync" debianGIS packages from
source to the various Ubuntu Distros. Willing groups
could set up testing repositories and work to
integrate the Ubuntu packages into universe.

I have been able to sync GDAL, mapserver, and postgis
so far.  It was not difficult.

Just my thoughts.
Jon

--- "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org>