Re: [Pkg-grass-general] a way for DebianGIS to Get along with Ubuntu

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 07:25:24AM -0700, Jon Saints wrote:
> After a month now of testing Ubuntu as a desktop and
> server, I have only positive things to say. The major
> drawback to Ubuntu for me was loosing the ability to
> access the DebianGIS packages.

You of course know that there is also a UbuntuGis efforts,
pointed now from our wiki (as well as their one does the same).

> As the articles below demonstrate, debian developers
> are avidly debating how to deal Ubuntu phenomenon. I
> believe that Ubuntu can be constructive competition
> for Debian only if developers like us are creative. We
> must be careful not jump to the conclusion that a
> splintering and forking of debian is a solution to the
> distros current problems.
>
> That said, I also believe that it is the best interest
> of the debianGIS group to offer some support to the
> Ubuntu distro.  The debianGIS project makes OpenSource
> GIS software usable to a wider audience than ever was
> possible when we had to indidually compile all our
> packages.  Ubuntu has incredible momentum now.  With
> small modifications to how we are making our packages
> we could offer support for Ubuntu releases.  This
> would offer the chance for more open source GIS
> software to fall into the hands of more people. That
> is a good thing.
>
> To support Ubuntu we need only:
> 1) continue to develop debianGIS as a standalone
> repository against debian "testing"

That's a proposal by me on -gis-devel, indeed. It
has sense after sarge release of course. I was also
thinking to some hacks for britney in order to manage
debian-gis-unstable->debian-gis-testing in sync
with debian-unstable->debian-testing. Currently we
can only manage those kind of things handy or
just on our own repo contents only basis.

> 2) At the time of Ubuntu freezes make a snapshot of
> our repository for Ubuntu. I think we could negotiate
> with Ubuntu "Masters of the Universe" Teams to take it
> from there.

I think that's exactly a Ubuntu developers' task.
That's now reason to reverse that process, AFAIK.
The real problem is how truly syncing Ubuntu and Debian components,
a fork is a fork, indeed. That's an open question.